The search for a missing Argentine submarine will continue but the rescue part of the plan has ended, a spokesman for the navy said on Thursday.
Investigators have searched for the ARA San Juan for 15 days since it first went missing on Nov. 15. 44 crew members were on board the vessel.
Argentine navy spokesman Enrique Balbi said the mission "extended for more than twice what is estimated for a rescue."
Hopes for survivors had already dimmed because experts say the crew only had enough oxygen to last up to 10 days if the sub remained intact under the sea.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.